Huntsman returns to JEC World 2024, March 5-7, with a resolute commitment to sustainability through cutting-edge chemistry. At the event, the team will reveal groundbreaking innovations that showcase Huntsman’s commitment to driving towards sustainable transformation in the global composites industry through reducing environmental impact, maximizing performance and longevity, and optimizing process efficiency and productivity.
Innovations showcased at JEC World 2024 will include:
• ARALDITE® Mass Balance Concept (MBC), low carbon footprint, high performance resins. These resins, while technically identical to standard fossil-based ARALDITE resins, hold a REDcert2 certificate, validating the replacement of fossil-based raw materials with sustainably certified biomass. They can showcase a reduction of up to 100% in CO2-equivalent emissions, without compromising performance or requiring any re-qualifications.
• ARALDITE® LY 3512 / ARADUR® 1571 / ACCELERATOR 1573. This is an epoxy-based formulation engineered to optimize hydrogen pressure vessel production with towpregs. This formulation can enhance towpreg materials’ storage capabilities at room temperature. Benefits include precise rheology, tackiness, and cohesion of carbon fiber filaments, enabling swift implementation and accurate placement during production while maintaining thermo-mechanical performance. ARALDITE pressure vessel resins are also available as a sustainable MBC version.
• ARALDITE epoxy systems have been developed for composite battery enclosures, trays, and underbody shields. Huntsman’s proven range of intrinsic fire-retardant ARALDITE® FST and unfilled mass production systems can help manufacturers of composite parts to meet part specific structural, fire, thermal, environmental, and mass production requirements. Used via WCM, RTM and HP-RTM processes these systems can enable short cycle times with low scrap rates. ARALDITE battery resins are also available as a sustainable MBC version.
• Polyurethane resins for EV battery enclosures with low carbon footprint option can help to facilitate the swift creation of underbody and upper cover battery protection components, offering manufacturers the chance to accelerate production by up to 30% compared to existing technologies. Innovative resin options available can offer increased strength, structural performance, design flexibility, and can support energy-efficient manufacturing methods. Products are also aligned towards the sustainability goals and net zero ambitions of customers, with ISCC PLUS mass balance certified options available aimed to reduce carbon footprint by up to 50% compared to traditional fossil-based technologies.
• An innovative glass fiber-reinforced polyurethane composite developed for lightweight seat back frames. Leveraging reaction spray molding, Huntsman’s VITROX® RSM solution can facilitate lightweight, efficient production cycles, helping to meet the demands of electric and hybrid vehicles through high integration capabilities and optimal surface quality.
Additionally, Huntsman will highlight its recently launched Technology Portal for Collaborative Innovation, inviting engagement with innovators and manufacturers across the value chain. This initiative aims to foster external collaborations, providing avenues for sharing innovation challenges, problem-solving opportunities, and tailored manufacturing solutions.
Visitors are invited to explore these innovations at Huntsman’s JEC World 2024 booth. The company’s composite experts will be in attendance and available to discuss how Huntsman’s ‘sustainability through advanced chemistry’ initiative is helping to reshape the composite landscape.
To see the showcased product, visit Huntsman at JEC World 2024 in hall 6 at booth K32.
To learn more about Huntsman’s other products, visit www.huntsman.com.